Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Rainy Day

This morning I awakened to a sound that I haven't heard in a very long time--thunder. I can't remember the last time it rained here. I was talking to a friend of mine last week and we both agreed that this summer has been great for nice, dry sunny days. That is, until this week, when it was hot and humid, and scattered/isolated thunderstorms were predicted each day. Yesterday it was so overcast that I got impatient for the rain to arrive.

And now, finally, the rain has materialized.

There is a small thunderstorm occurring right now. I use the word "small" because I haven't seen any lightning. There haven't been really heavy downpours, just enough thunder to let you know that the rain is here.

The Wadsworth Mansion postponed tonight's concert to August 6th, but it doesn't really matter to me. We really needed this rain. I'm enjoying hearing the sounds of the water beat against my condo, as well as listening to the cars on the road drive through the puddles.

Tomorrow's forecast is for more rain, much more, particularly if you live in the western half of the state; Mark Dixon, one of the meteorologists over at Channel 3, predicted as much as 4 inches of rain for some towns in the Litchfield Hills. And where there's 4 inches of rain, there is flooding.

I can make do with rain. Flooding, however, I can do without.

No comments: