Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bookshelf meme

I found this cute little meme over at Tiffany's, who found it over at Find Your Next Book Here. I just couldn't resist this! Here goes:

Tell me about the book that has been on your shelves the longest:

I received a copy of Little Women when I was either in 5th or 6th grade. It's been on my bookshelf since then. I tried to read it when I was in high school, but life intervened, and I just never had the time. This year, however, I'm determined to read it, as I have listed it as one of the books in my 100+ Book Challenge, as well as my 1st in a Series Challenge.




Tell me about a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (i.e., a person, a place, a time, etc.):

I had to include three books for this one. I'll explain why in a moment:

These were three of the books that my second grade teacher read to us. Mrs. Werner was one of my top three teachers of all time--perhaps she is my favorite teacher of all time. Among other things, she not only encouraged my self-esteem, which was shaky for an eight-year-old, but she also developed my life-long love of reading. She read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlotte's Web, and The Trumpet of the Swan to us, and encouraged us to follow along with the story using our own copies. She had a very soothing, soft voice, which I can hear every time I open the covers of any of these three books.
Tell me about a book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used book store, prize, etc.):

In high school our French teacher had us take the National French Exam. I wound up earning 4th place in the state of Connecticut for the First-Year Student category, and won an award for it at the end-of-year awards night. The principal of the school presented me with this blue and white plaid bag, tied with a lace ribbon, and this book was inside: Linnea in Monet's Garden. There was a little Linnea rag doll that came with it. I was a little shocked that this was the award I received; I was expecting a French-English dictionary or something more scholarly, but was rather pleased, and touched, by the gift from my teacher.

Last year I wrote a post about it; click here if you want to read more.

Tell me about a book that has been with you to the most places:

Linnea in Monet's Garden came with me to college, to my semester in Paris, back home, and to school for a period of time. The book and the doll are back home now, and have a prominent place of honor in my living room. Linnea the doll sits between two of my childhood treasures: my first teddy bear and my walking Mickey Mouse doll.

Tell us about the most recent addition to your shelves:

I bought this book during my recent trip to the library. It was one of the books Curtis Sittenfeld cited when she wrote American Wife, and I bought it out of curiosity. I wanted to see how much of American Wife was based on the truth and how much of it was based on fiction.

Tell me about a bonus book that doesn't fit any of the above questions:

This is not meant to be a sarcastic response to this question! I still have a copy of the local Yellow Pages by my phone, but I don't know why; I never use it! I just look up a number online whenever I need it! Yet the phone company, without fail, delivers a fresh volume every April or May. I wonder if I can call and request them NOT to deliver a new Yellow Pages this year.


And now, THE RULES:

1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!
2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.
3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.
4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water…
5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc.

And I tag...everyone who reads this blog! Feel free to participate, but there's no pressure to do so! Have fun!

No comments: