Saturday, January 31, 2009

The single gal's guide to groceries

I do my grocery shopping every payday. Once a month I do a big shop to stock up on whatever items I need to replenish my pantry. On the second payday, I buy the perishables: veggies, milk, etc.

I cook for myself, and I really enjoy it. Cooking for me is therapy; I can control the quality of the ingredients and take pride that I've really made a nice meal. I take pride in my cooking because I feel like I'm doing something good for myself.

Last night, I was between paydays, I had Friday brain, and I had PMS. I was tired, and didn't feel like cooking or nuking something in the microwave. I get like this some weeks, where I'm just too much of a lazy schmuck on Friday nights to do anything productive. Sometimes I go out on Friday nights, other times I'm too tired to do anything. Last night was one of those nights.

Last night, since I had PMS, I was craving carbs.

There was only one thing that could satisfy my craving.

The Cheesiest.

That's right, Kittens, I sought the comfort of that magical Blue Box, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I grew up on Mama Cat's mac, which is fabulous and far superior to the Magic Kraft, but I didn't feel like taking all the necessary steps to make her recipe (melt the cheese, boil the pasta, mix cheese and pasta, but in casserole dish, sprinkle top with bread crumbs, bake at 350 for 45 minutes).

So last night, on my way home, I stopped at CVS and picked up the following:
  • 2 boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese
  • a quart of skim milk
  • a pint of Edy's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream

The cashiers laughed at my purchases, but it was all in good fun. At first I felt like I had to apologize for my bag's contents, but I decided not to. So what if they think I'm strange? I'm only cooking for myself here, people!

I went home and made my pasta. I cannot practice portion control when I eat the Cheesiest. For me, the best way to eat it is straight out of the pot, using the same wooden spoon that you used to cook it. Same thing went with the pint of Edy's; I ate the whole thing.

And that was my dinner last night.

And today...well, I don't feel so good. I cannot eat the same way I did when I was in my 20s.

I need to have breakfast right now, probably some eggs. I need the protein.

But I have one more box of the Magic Kraft, and I can hear it calling my name...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, I love me some mac and cheese too! Especially w/ ketchup mixed in!

Brandi. said...

MMM. Mac and cheese does sound good! :)

I know what the kids are getting for lunch. LOL!

Lorie said...

You want to know what makes Kraft Mac and Cheese REALLY good! make it with cream instead of milk!! :X

It is so good!!

And the ice cream sounds GOOD!

drollgirl said...

bahahha! love your cvs purchases. all the ladies get it. i usually go for pizza and beer and icecream and pay for it later.

Kitten said...

Yaya: I'll have to try the mac n' ketchup thing.

FireLillie: Welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

Lorie: Kraft n' cream? Sounds tasty! Have to try that!

Drollgirl: Pizza and beer...mmmm...

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Sounds great. What time should I be there?

Jodi said...

LOVE mac and cheese. I'll eat the Kraft or the Kraft deluxe (with the can cheese in the box) or the Velveeta version. YUMMY!

I had a hysterical CVS purchase once...(Sorry to the men reading this)

-Always
-Midol
-Pack of 6 Hershey bars

The cashier thought it was hysterical.

Kitten said...

Bud--Stop by 'round 6. Bring your own wooden spoon. ;)

Jodi--Kraft Deluxe is AWESOME!!! Nothing compares to Mama Cat's mac, though. I need to make it more often. As for your CVS purchase, LOL!!! I've certainly been there, done that!

Vickie said...

Yaya, ketchup, gross!

Mac-n-cheese, does the psyche good.

Jenners said...

EVERYONE should be able to have at least one night a week to eat like that! The increased chance to eat mac & cheese is one of the best parts of having a kid ... though my son is a "gourmet" -- he likes "Boston Market Mac & Cheese." Not the cheap 99 cent stuff... he wants the Boston Market frozen stuff. But I have to give him credit ... it is much better. And now I'm craving ice cream.

Mimi Lenox said...

I love Kraft mac 'n cheese.