Friday, January 7, 2011

A snowy Friday night at Bookkitten headquarters

...and I'm kinda bored. I figured I'd best explain in further detail the reasons for my sporadic hiatus. Basically, like I said in my last post, I had overbooked myself. Every weekend since mid-August, I had something to do for church, work, or social activities. And by December, everything caught up to me. After Thanksgiving, I felt run down. Exhausted. Sick. I didn't even put up Christmas decorations or send out cards. Holiday shopping became more of a chore than usual.

So, I decided to take charge. During my vacation the last week in December, I didn't do much. I didn't even attend a New Year's Eve party. I went over to Sister Kitten's, and we both were asleep after 12:30 AM. I rested, relaxed, and recuperated.

And my resolution this year is to take more time for me. For instance, I'm going to take the month off from social activities. I've been invited to a few outings with friends, but I'm not attending those. It's not that I don't want to see them; I do. But right now I feel it's best for me to spend some time alone--clean my house, organize things, and just decompress.

Wintertime is the perfect opportunity to do just that. The snowy weather, the cold, the wind--all pose perfect times to stay home by the fire, or in my case, the radiator. And as I'm typing this, I'm starting to realize what a friend of mine always says about winter being a time of rebirth--everything is at rest, getting ready for a season of rebirth and regrowth in the spring.

So I guess that's what I'm doing right now--but rather than "rebirthing" myself into a whole new person, I'm using the winter as a time of reflection.

So right now, I'm sitting by the television, with my laptop, watching the weathermen hype this latest storm (which took awhile to get to my little city). One cat is sleeping peacefully at my side, and the other just joined me at my left. I'm going to get up to go to the kitchen to pour a glass of wine, maybe two. A bubble bath may be in my future. And I've got flannel sheets and a down comforter on my bed. Life is good.

6 comments:

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

It is good to rest from a hectic lifestyle that compresses you to a flatness from being your bubbly self!

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye. Take wonderful and gentle care...

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I love to snuggle down during the winter as well. I agree spring is like a re-birth for me as well.

Enjoy your snowy evening.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Sometimes you just gotta say no and take time for you! This is my down month, too. We're past all the Christmas festivities and I have no speaking engagements. I'm just going to relax!

Unknown said...

There's nothing wrong with resetting, and winter is a perfect time to do it!

Momma Hunt said...

Good for you taking some much needed time for yourself. As a working mom of two sometimes I wish I could just do this...enjoy some alone time. Instead I will sneak away and take naps and go to bed early with a good book to recope. Looks like there might be more snow in the future so maybe another day of snowed in-ness

septembermom said...

It makes a lot of sense to take a winter of reflection. Good advice for many of us to follow. Wishing you all the best in 2011!