Saturday, October 3, 2009

Bookin' Around meme

Borrowed from my pal NurseExec.
Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I don't snack while I read. I find that I don't concentrate as much on the book if I do.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I only marked up books if I had to read them for college/grad school courses. I don't these days; even the thought of putting sticky notes in a book as I read horrifies me.
How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?
It depends. If it's a paperback that I own, dog ears. If it's a library book, bookmark. If the bookmark has a dust jacket, I use the flaps to keep my place.

Laying the book flat open?
Never. I always hold the book in my hands.
Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
Les deux.

Hard copy or audiobooks?
Hard copy. I haven't tried audiobooks yet, and I'm kinda afraid to. I fear that the narrator's vocal tone and style may ruin the book for me.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
I have to go all the way to the end of a chapter. I feel a better sense of closure that way; I don't like being in limbo.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
This isn't a problem for me. My vocabulary is pretty large. Plus, I'm pretty good at figuring out words from context.

What are you currently reading?
Sad to say, nothing! I've been so busy with work!

What is the last book you bought?
I bought the latest one from the author of The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Sadly, I can't think of her name right now.

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
Sometimes I read more than one at a time, others I can only concentrate on a single volume.

Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?
At the end of the day, before bedtime, curled up in a ball on the left corner of my couch.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
I love 'em all!

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
All summer long, I've been raving about The Time Traveler's Wife. And I can't recommend Lucy Maud Montgomery--any of her works--enough. And The Pillars of the Earth made a rather large impression on me, too.
How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
By series and genre. All of my Twilight books are shelved together. All of my chick lit books are shelved together, my travel books together, etc.

Favorite genre?
Memoirs, and lately, a lot of chick lit. And I do mean, A LOT.

6 comments:

Wendi said...

What a fun list of questions! I must admit that I've never really snacked while reading. I DO occasionally read while I eat lunch or dinner. :)

~ Wendi

Vickie said...

I organize my books by height. LOL

I can eat and read a magazine but I can't read a book and eat.

I usually read in bed right before I go to sleep.

Jodi said...

I LOVE chick-lit. LOVE IT!

I read to the end of the chapter too.

Momma Hunt said...

Love this post. If my grades were not due tomorrow at 2pm, I would love to post this on my blog, sadly it is off to grade essays!

Marie Cloutier said...

I snack while I read a lot. Too much! Especially after I've baked something yummy. :-)

Celia said...

Muriel Barberry wrote The Elegance of the Hedgehog and I am interested in your take on it. I chose it for our contemporary book club and only one of us was able to slog through it. I was not a fan.