Friday, January 15, 2010

In need of some gift advice

My darling kittens--

This afternoon I received an Evite from a dear friend of mine who is throwing herself a 60th birthday party. After recovering from the shock that I had upon learning her age (I thought she was MUCH younger), I happily accepted her invitation.

And then, panic struck...the same panic that comes whenever one gets invited to a party.

THE GIFT.

I don't even remember what I got Mama Cat when she turned 60. Hell, she's gonna be 65 this year; what am I gonna get her to commemorate her Social Security eligibility, T-bills?

Now, my friend has been a very good friend to me for almost nine years. She's almost like a second mother to me. She trusts me with her pets, even after one accidentally ate a stick of butter. She always gives me little gifts and trinkets as a thank you for housesitting, but she's never given anything tres expensive.

So...I'm stuck. I don't want to spend too much money, but I don't want to come off looking like a cheapskate. She loves to travel, and anything to do with summer and Labrador retrievers. She does have a Pandora bracelet, so maybe I can get her a bead for it...

...but what if someone gifts her with the EXACT SAME BEAD?!?!?

ARRGH!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, NE Bloggers!
Our 1-year anniversary is coming up on Jan 27. To mark the occasion I am going to put up a Mr. Linky on the evening of Monday, January 25. If you'd like to write a post about living in NE, fav places to visit, funny stories and stereotypes, recipes, photos of our gorgeous landscape, anything, it would be great if you would link in. I'd also like a little idea of # of participants, if you could just send me a reply.
Since I don't have emails from everyone, I'm also leaving this message in your comments, sorry for the double-up.

Lisa G said...

What about one of those lovely Moleskine journals to document her travels. They come in different sizes.

Celia said...

I like to give people in that age range stuff they can use up. Their favorite liquor, a lovely box of chocolates that kind of thing. Usually by that age people have more stuff than they could ever use and I have heard many times that they want less "things".

You would also be safe with a Petsmart gift card and maybe some home made dog biscuits.

RunninL8 said...

Is she feisty!?!?? 7 Deadly Zins with a pandora bead artfully attached! And thank YOU for the Zin recommendation! Had some w/mom and friends and last night-VERY nice!
And a special bead on a bracelet is such an intimate gift. Warm against the skin and always right there for her to look at and appreciate.
Mom says earrings. Meh.

Jenners said...

I'm terrible with gift suggestions. But those beads are pretty nice so that sounds good ... just give a gift receipt.