Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The songs in my head: Nothing But a Miracle

Last week, when I had some time off, I caught up on all of the episodes of Conan I was behind on. On one of those episodes, this lovely young woman closed out the show with an AH-mazing performance.

Kittens, meet Diane Birch.

When Conan first announced that she was the opening act for Nick Jonas and the Administration on their sold out tour, I thought, "Ugh. Another teeny bopper." But I had seen her name all over iTunes, and saw that she had received raves for her first album, so I thought I'd check her out.

Oh. My. God.

A little background: The kid's 26 years old, and sounds like one of those classic 70s singer-songwriters like Carole King or Laura Nyro. She's the daughter of a preacher, and grew up all over the world. She lists church hymns and Beethoven as some of her biggest influences. She wasn't allowed to listen to pop music when she was a kid, which really surprises me, considering that her music and lyrics are well beyond her years.

You can find out more about Diane and her music by clicking here. This will take you to her official website.

Diane's performance from The Tonight Show isn't on YouTube, but here's her performance from The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson back in June of '09! (I just had to write that!) In fact, this is her television debut.

Please sit back and enjoy, kittens. I guarantee that you'll love this clip. In fact, afterwards, do yourself a favor and do what I did after listening to one song: buy the whole damn album. You won't regret it!

P.S. She needs to headline her own tour--RIGHT NOW. Sorry, kittens, but I'm not paying to see a Jonas brother.

1 comment:

septembermom said...

Wow! I'm hunting for new artists. This is terrific. Thank you.