Monday, October 27, 2008

Mama Cat's Visit

This morning I had both a hot water heater inspection, as well as a conference I had to attend. Since I couldn't be in two places at once, I asked my mother to represent me when the inspector arrived.

(Let me clarify before I continue. Our condo association conducts hot water heater inspections every two years, and each building is scheduled for different times of the month. My building happened to fall in the same week I was attending a statewide conference, and I didn't want to take another day off from work, so I asked my parents if one of them could be at my condo to let the inspector in. My mother, to be henceforth known as Mama Cat, graciously volunteered).

Last week, Mama Cat asked if she could sleep over Sunday night. The inspection was at 10:30, but Mama Cat, like me, likes to be an hour early for everything, and was afraid she'd get into rush hour traffic on her way down 91 South. I said, "Sure. Why not?"

Well, Mama Cat stayed over, we hang out, and had a grand old time. Then it was time for bed. We pulled out the sleeper sofa in the living room, made the bed, then got ready for bed ourselves. We finally went to bed at 11:15, right after the news finished and the Sunday night sports report began.

Mama Cat fell asleep right away.

I had forgotten how much--and how loudly--she snores.

Since I have a loft bedroom, I could hear her loud and clear--in stereo, HD, however you want to call it, the sound was louder than the cars speeding by the condo. (I live on the side of a state road that leads into an interstate about 5 miles west of where I live).

I woke up feeling very unrested, cranky, and out of sorts. It didn't help, either, that I had to get up at 2 AM to pee (thanks to the mug of tea I chugged before bed).

Mama Cat apologized profusely--again and again--as I got ready for the conference.

By the way, the inspection went well. My hot water heater's still running well, as well as my smoke detectors.

And for those of you who think I shouldn't be saying such things about my mother in a public venue, well, you're probably right.

But I could write worse things. However, there aren't any horrible things to write about Mama Cat. She's a pretty good Mama, overall.

Except for when she snores.

No comments: