Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sick Bay

I have been looking forward to this three-day weekend for a long time...and of course, I wind up coming down with a cold!!!

It's not a full-fledged cold just yet, so my plan is to nip it in the bud ASAP. I'm making a batch of chicken soup today from a recipe that I found from Jane Redmont's blog. As you know, I've been wanting to make this recipe for a few days, and have been going batty trying to find a decent chicken, one without hormones, sustainably raised, and died while listening to Mozart and watching PBS. (The latter words describing the chicken are Jane's, not mine).

The plan is also to have lots of soothing cups of tea. Tea with honey. Mmmm. And curl up with my latest book club read, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Maybe this won't be such a bad weekend after all. I haven't had a night home to myself in two weeks, so this might be a gift!

Now to go make that chicken soup!

1 comment:

Jane R said...

Dear Kitten, I hope you find that happy chicken. The soup will do you good and its vapors (and bits of meat - no bones though, bad for cats because they are sharp and little and tend to splinter) will be good for the kitties! If worse comes to worst you can get a semi-decent chicken, just not a Purdue. There's Whole Foods of course, but they don't call it Whole Paycheck for nothing. I was lucky to find the nice chicken on sale at the food co-op, and it wasn't old or anything. As it turns out it was under five dollars (I'd said on the blog it was a little over five dollars) and really, for all the meals I got out of it, it was worth twice that. And if you have onions and garlic in the house and a carrot or two and a piece of celery, it's all quite tasty even if you don't have the thyme and bayleaf, though that add to the flavor of course. The hot red pepper was a new experiment and it was good. Don't use too much of it, but a little (instead of black pepper) will give the soup some zing and make you sweat a bit more.

Take good care of yourself, and I hope the kittens are taking care of you! +Maya and I send best wishes. Rest up on the long weekend. Curling up with a good book and some hot tea with honey (try ginger tea - herbal, no caffeine, good for what ails you; I like the Ginger Aid teabags from Traditional Medicinals) sounds like heaven to me!