Monday, June 23, 2008

Ms. Kitten Confesses...

...that she is reading a mystery novel.

If you look at my profile, you will read that I will NOT read mystery novels. I have never been a huge fan of the genre, save for the Encyclopedia Brown books I devoured as a child. However, my book club is reading The Devil in the White City, a tome about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. It bills itself as a mystery novel--a murder mystery at that.

My friend Lisa first recommended the book to me, before my book club decided to read it. She raved about it. Lisa loved it so much that she even went online and researched all of the different places that the book references. And this is a woman who loathes the Internet, so she must have really enjoyed this book.

I am now up to page 62. So far I have learned about the background of the architects who designed the buildings at the Fair, Burnham and Root. I have also learned about the mysterious Dr. H.H. Holmes, a man from New Hampshire who has just purchased a pharmacy in Chicago. All three men have interesting backgrounds, but this Holmes character has the most interesting one of all...

And I leave you with that tonight, dear readers, for I am tired, and I am too lazy to get the book from my coffee table. I shall update you tomorrow. Sweet dreams!!

P.S. In spite of the title of this post, this is NOT an addition to the "Kitten Confessions" series that I began a while back, for this post did not uncover something deep and unknown about me. (I thought some people would be a wee bit confused).

2 comments:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

Oh I love mystery novels! There's nothing like an Agatha Christie to while away the hours...and I confess that I love the Murder, She Wrote books too, especially since we already know what the heroin looks like. ;)

Kitten said...

Even though I don't like mysteries, I love Murder, She Wrote. I was raised on that. My mom and I would watch Angela Lansbury every Sunday night after my dad and I watched 60 Minutes. I adore Angela Lansbury, especially in Bedknobs and Broomsticks--have you seen that movie, Sarah? :)