Saturday, June 21, 2008

Potential Cooking Disaster Awaits

Last night I posted my recipe for Bittersweet Mocha Coffee Cake. I just put it in the oven and am crossing my fingers, for this cake could come out nasty.

I had creamed the butter and sugar and went to go add the vanilla, when I discovered there was no vanilla in my cupboards. Then I turned to my wine rack/liquor shelf which is on my kitchen counter and found a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream. I thought, "What the hell?" and added a tablespoon of Bailey's to substitute for the vanilla.

Then--and this is worse--I discovered that I had no all-purpose flour. I did, however, have whole wheat flour. I am fully aware that you cannot substitute whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour cup for cup, but I added the two cups of flour the recipe required and it looked okay.

So, now the cake is baking in the oven. I added the crushed Heath and Butterfinger bars like I said I would do, and the mixture looked like a mud pie with tiny pebbles scattered throughout.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: