Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The songs in my head

One of the deals I scored with my recent cable upgrade was having HBO added to my package. One of my discoveries on HBO comes courtesy of Sister Kitten, who turned me on to a show called Flight of the Conchords.

This show is a faux-reality show about a real band from New Zealand. They're a comedy-novelty-folk band. Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie have developed a cult following around the world, and after you view the next two clips, you'll see why.

The show centers around the band and their inept manager, Murray. Murray has a day job at the New Zealand Consulate, and presumably he's only slightly better at this job than he is at managing the band. Jemaine and Bret have only one fan, Mel, who stalks them obsessively.

Anyhoo, what follows is the clip that Sister Kitten sent me about a year and a half ago. This was my first introduction to Flight of the Conchords (note: knowledge of French is not necessary to appreciate this clip, but it doesn't hurt to know it):





And here's another clip, this time from a live appearance on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. After I first saw this clip I desperately want to see these guys live:


Kittens, you can thank--or shoot me--later.

3 comments:

septembermom said...

Thanks for this introduction. These are interesting fellows. I think I'll check it out.

drollgirl said...

i love this show so much!!! i have been going through one of the worst times in my whole stupid life lately, and this show has managed to make me laugh, even when i am crying from sadness.

it is just brilliant, so off-beat, so odd, and just fucking perfect.

and murray. hah ahahha! oh, he cracks me up.

it is all PERFECT! so glad that you love it too!!!

brit! gemaine (er, i thought it was GERMAINE for a long time!)! they make the world a better place!

and the SONGS! bah! clearly i could go on and on about my love for this show, but you get the picture!!!!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my gosh I have heard so much about this show I want to see it so bad! I usually just rent the shows when they come out on dvd but I have been waiting forever for it to become available in my "queue"! I guess everyone else wants to rent it too!