Last week I was at a book club meeting and our hostess made spinach salad with avocado, tomatoes, hearts of palm, and other fresh veggies. Inspired, and in need of something that didn't come out of a box and couldn't be microwaved, I decided to stock up on salad fixins.
I fully intended to make a Cobb salad, but the recipe I'm giving you is not a traditional Cobb. Rather, it's more like "Kitchen Sink Salad."
Here's what I used:
- a package of chicken tenders
- a package of baby spinach
- a package of baby romaine
- a cucumber
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes
- broccoli florets (about a head)
- 8 slices of turkey bacon
- a can of chick peas
- gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- ranch dressing I had in the fridge
Now for the directions:
- Season the chicken however you like. You can use salt and pepper, poultry seasoning, Mrs. Dash--whatever you've got on hand. You can fry it up in a bit of EVOO, or you can grill it. I grilled the tenders on my indoor contact grill for about seven minutes.
- While the chicken's grilling, nuke the bacon according to package directions.
- Peel your veggies and cut 'em up.
- Get the largest salad bowl you own and dump your greens inside. Pile on the veggies.
- Open the chick peas, drain 'em, and rinse 'em. Dump 'em in the bowl.
- When the chicken's cooled off a bit, slice it up and dump it in the bowl.
- When the bacon's cooled a bit, crumble it up into little bits. Dump 'em in the bowl.
- Sprinkle on the gorg crumbs once you've served yourself a helping of the salad. Don't put 'em in all at once or they'll get soggy.
- Use whatever dressing you've got on hand.
Of course, you can use whatever veggies you've got on hand. I like to put hard-boiled eggs in salads, too, but I was too lazy to boil water tonight. That, and I didn't want to wash the pot.