Dates: This challenge started last Friday, May 22, and will end on Labor Day, September 7, 2009.
Requirements: There are two levels of participation in this challenge:
Beach Bum: you will read 3 books during this time frame (a leisurely book-a-month); cross-over book selections from other challenges may count; and you do not have to list books in advance -- after all, summer vacation is a time for spontaneity.
Globe Trotter: you will commit to reading 6 pre-selected books during this time frame, but you may substitute up to 3 books due to changes in travel plans. Cross-overs for 5 out of the 6 books are allowed, but ideally one book will be read for this challenge alone.
I'm going to stick with the Globe Trotter level, and here's where I plan to visit:
- The Big House, by George Howe Colt. I'm a New Englander who's never been to Cape Cod. Go figure. This is about a summer home on the Cape that's been in a family for centuries. This will be my one book read solely for this challenge.
- The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay. This is billed as "The Classic Novel of South Africa." Sister Kitten's been there, but not me.
- In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson. I've always dreamed of visiting Australia, and Bill Bryson is one of my favorite authors.
- A Year in Provence, by Peter Mayle. This has been on my bookshelf for years, and I've dreamed of visiting Provence and its lavender fields some day...
- Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See. I can't wait to visit China!
- Bella Tuscany, by Frances Mayes. I read Under the Tuscan Sun a few years ago, and Tuscany's been lingering in my head ever since...
So that's probably going to be the last of my challenges this year! Wish me luck!