Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Kitten and work

Yesterday I returned to work. For those of you who know me in life, as well as longtime readers, know what I do for a living. For those of you recent arrivals, you could probably deduce my profession. But we'll leave it at that.

I've recently realized that work, for me, is a salve. That is, I often use it to cover up, mask, avoid, or forget, a lot of my personal issues. That is, if I don't let my personal issues become embedded in my job--which, in my line of work, is easy to do. I take things very personally. I can be very paranoid.

But the bottom line is this: When I'm at work, doing something I know I'm good at, I feel good. When I do poorly, I feel as if it's a reflection on myself.

That's just one of the things I learned about myself this summer.

2 comments:

Liz Mays said...

Ok, I've been with you for a long time and I really don't even know what your job is. But based on the time of year...

septembermom said...

As long as you're trying, don't ever think that you're performing poorly. Hope your work days are satisfying on multiple levels.