Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The search for light, fluffy reads

In my quest for an easy book to read (refer back to "The Bookkitten Needs YOUR Recommendations" for further info), I decided to do a search on Amazon.com and see what they came up with. I typed in "light fluffy reads" and here's what I got:

How to Read a French Fry by Russ Parsons
Did Dinosaurs Have Feathers? by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld
The Accidental Werewolf by Dakota Cassidy
My Wicked Pirate by Rona Sharon
The Christmas Pearl by Dorothea Benton
Rabid: A Novel by T.K. Kenyon
The World According to Garp by John Irving
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
Party Divas: 12 Fabulous Parties for Women's Ministry by Amber Van Schoonefeld

There were several other selections, but I did not include those. Tell me, what is so light and fluffy about werewolves and dinosaurs having feathers? What's so light and fluffy about rabies? And why should I know, or care, about reading french fries? All I care about is that they're tasty, salty, and oh so yummy.

Fortunately for Amazon, customers can create their own lists of picks. To the left of the screen was a list titled "Books for a scattered mind." I don't know what that has to do with lightness and fluffyness, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Here are some selections that I found:

Collected Poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Adrian Mole Diaries by Sue Townsend (a HUGE favorite of mine as a teenager, something I may revisit this summer)
Letters and Papers from Prison by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

So much for lightness and fluffiness there. Then there was a list called "Some cool books." And here's some of what I found THERE:

The Catcher in the Rye
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
On the Road by Jack Kerouac

And so the search for light fluffy reads continues...

No comments: