Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Driving On Roads On A Rainy Evening"

This poem was inspired by my drive home tonight from my school's winter concert. Route 9 in Connecticut, the highway I took to go home, bisects the center of the state and runs parallel to the Connecticut River. There is no lighting on the side of the highway until you cross over the Middletown city line. The drive home was complicated by a moderate to heavy rainstorm, and lots of wind.

My apologies to Robert Frost.

"Driving On Roads On A Rainy Evening"
by Kitten, December 11, 2008

Whose roads these are I think I know.
My house is in the city though;
I hope I won't be stopping here
Since I am driving nice and slow.
My little car must think it queer
To stop without a station near
Between my house and rain-filled path
The darkest evening of the year.
My car's small black wheels get a bath
As she continues through this wrath
The only other sound's the splash
Of puddles forming on the path.
Off back to my house I must dash,
I cannot blink a single lash,
Or in the woods my car will crash,
Or in the woods my car will crash.

No comments: