Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Goofus and Gallant

Do you remember Highlights magazine, Kittens? You know, the magazine from our youth that you never found on newsstands or in other people's houses, but you always found it at the doctor's office? Ahhh...yes, I remember Highlights for Children from my many visits chez le medecin as a child. I had either ear infections or sore throats at least once a month, and I would comfort myself with the Timbertoes, Hidden Pictures, and Goofus and Gallant while I waited not-too-patiently for the doctor to see me.

Ahhh...Goofus and Gallant. The story of two brothers, apparently twins. Goofus was the one who was rude, sloppy, and did everything wrong, whereas Gallant was the good twin--polite, clean, and just bordering on being a goody two shoes.

This dynamic duo was nearly erased from my memory...that is, until last night's episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

The writing staff of TDSWJS never fails to amuse me. They have so many flashes of brilliance, I hope they never, ever regress like Saturday Night Live has done. Last night, Jon Stewart made a rather amusing comparison between the legendary magazine duo of Goofus and Gallant with our current and future Presidents.

Here's the link to the video. I've tried to embed it directly in this post, without success. If anyone out there has successfully done it, please, please HELP ME!

No comments: