Thursday, April 2, 2009

Book meme

I'm stealing this one from Marie over at Boston Bibliophile.

1. Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
I prefer trade paperbacks. They're lightweight, easy to slip into a purse, and have type large enough that you don't have to squint when you read.

2. Barnes & Noble or Borders?
For years I've always said "Borders" very easily. I like its decor; a lot of books without looking too dark and stuffy. However, I recently lunched with a friend at a B&N and was amazed at their selection of publishers' remnants and discounted books. They had a way larger choice at B&N. So I'll have to go with B&N.

3. Bookmark or dog-ear?
If it's a book I own, I dog ear. If it's a library book, I use a bookmark that resembles an oriental rug, which was a gift for me from a friend of mine.

4. Amazon or brick and mortar?
Brick and mortar, without question.

5. Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
If I have a number of books by the same author, I group them all together. I don't alphabetize, though. I DO, however, organize by genre: travel, French literature, Spanish literature, education, etc.

6. Keep, throw away, or sell?
Keep, donate for store credit, or my recent favorite--PaperbackSwap.com. I abso-freakin-lutely ADORE this website. You must check it out.

7. Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Keep. A book looks naked without one.

8. Read with dust jacket or remove it?
Read with the dust jacket. I like to use the flaps for bookmarks.

9. Short story or novel?
Novels, although I loves me a good anthology every now and then.

10. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
I've never read the full series of either. I'll have to add those to my TBR pile.

11. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
At chapter breaks. If I stop before one, I always feel like I'm in the middle of a cliffhanger. I hate to be in unresolved situations.

12. "It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
"It was a dark and stormy night." I love the image of Snoopy on top of his doghouse, typing away at his novel.

13. Buy or borrow?
I'm really getting into borrowing. I especially love how my library now sends E-mails when my books are due.

14. New or used?
Either one, but I especially love used books. Cheap, green, and did I say cheap?

15. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
Usually browsing, followed by book reviews, followed by recommendations. I've found my favorite books by browsing.

16. Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Tidy endings. I obsess over cliffhanger endings too much.

17. Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
During the week, nighttime reading, because it's the only time I get to read. Otherwise, any old time!

18. Stand-alone or series?
I'm more of a stand-alone reader.

19. Favorite series?
Why, the Anne of Green Gables series, of course! However, the Little House books follow in a very close second.

20. Favorite children's book?
Linnea in Monet's Garden

21. Favorite YA book?
Anne of Green Gables

22. Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Ella Minnow Pea, by Mark Dunn

23. Favorite books read last year?
The Devil in the White City, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, Girls of Tender Age, Last Days of Summer, and Almost Like Being in Love

24. Favorite books of all time?
Anne of Green Gables, A Walk in the Woods, The Pillars of the Earth, The Little Prince, Madame Bovary, Linnea in Monet's Garden, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Trumpet of the Swan, Charlotte's Web

25. What are you reading right now?
Three Cups of Tea

26. What are you reading next?
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

27. Favorite book to recommend to an eleven-year-old?
If it were a girl I would readily suggest Anne of Green Gables. I have no clue what to suggest for an 11-year-old boy.

28. Favorite book to reread?
Anne of Green Gables

29. Do you ever smell books?
YES. I love the smell of new books! There's something so comforting about inhaling new book smell.

30. Do you ever read Primary source documents?
Do blogs count? Then, yes. I also like a lot of biographies.
This question reminds me of an Oscar Wilde quote: "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something interesting to read."

5 comments:

Improbable Joe said...

You know what books are the best books? FREE books! In the last month or so, I've found about a dozen PDF/Kindle books for free, and another dozen or so audiobooks. In today's economy...

Serena said...

ooo, i'm going to borrow this one too...for saturday's date.

Cammie said...

oh, I loved this! We should "friend up" on Paperbackswap.com I love that site too!! Wonder if we can search by email? and I dont know what brick and mortar is...must check this out
my email is
cammieonesto@sbcglobal.net if you can search friends that way on PBS

Heather said...

Loved this meme! Books are one of my very favorite things. I take the dust jacket off of my books, though. And I'm a definite dog-earer. I might have to steal this one sometime. :)

Celia said...

I LOVE ELLA MINNOW PEA! It's one of my favorites.