Monday, April 6, 2009

We're the Nutmeg State...so where's the nutmeg?

I recently left a comment over at Janna Bee's about tonight's title game between the Spartans and the Tar Heels. I said something to the effect of, "I'll be drinking Cherrywine and eating Mackinac Island Fudge during the game."

Cherrywine is a popular carbonated cherry-tasting drink down south.

Mackinac Island fudge is a popular candy in Michigan, named for the island near the Upper Peninsula where it is made.

That got me to thinking...tomorrow the Lady Huskies are playing Louisville for the national title. I could either have a shot of Kentucky bourbon if things don't go our way (which they won't), or I could have a Connecticut...uh...uh...uh...

...what foodstuffs are we known for in Connecticut?

Think about it. We have maple syrup, but that's more of a Vermont thing. We've got tobacco, but I don't smoke, and it's bad for you. Pepperidge Farm was a real farm in Fairfield County, but I don't think they manufacture their products here anymore.

I can't think of a food product or cuisine that we're famous for.

Can you?

6 comments:

Vickie said...

That is a toughie. I will have to google it.

Fudge:)

Improbable Joe said...

Hah, Cheerwine! A local beverage for me growing up. So local that we had a Cheerwine truck go off the road right outside my house one winter and block traffic for hours!

Connecticut has... steamed white rice? Wonder Bread? Unsalted popcorn?

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...I'm stumped.


But the good news-I finally got Street Gang from the library today!

CDB said...

Husky stew? JUST kidding. And it's CHEERWINE! In North Carolina. Cheerwine and Sun Drop, yum! Can only get 'em there!

GO HEELS!

Anonymous said...

You've got a bit of research to do. You'd best get cracking!

Mimi Lenox said...

Cheerwine. I had it once and hated it but it has a name that SHOULD make one cheerier.....more cheerful?....cheesier??

Oh. Now, I'm just getting silly.