Saturday, August 23, 2008

Kitten Confessions, Part Eight

My name is Kitten, and I love to watch the Democratic and Republican conventions from beginning to end.

I even love the footage that they show on C-SPAN, when the delegates are doing nothing but pace around the floor of the convention centers.

Since I was a kid, I've been known to block out my schedule and accept no phone calls whenever the conventions come on TV. I remember watching the 1984 Republican convention with my parents, and how excited everyone was to be there. The delegates were dancing, cheering, carrying all sorts of colorful signs, ribbons, and buttons, and just being happy to show support for their candidate. I just thought it was a fun place to be.

I've always loved the political process, although, since the debacle in the 2000 election, my love for it has weaned. That year showed us once and for all that the Electoral College system, which has been in place for at least two centuries, is completely arcane. How much sense does it really make that the American populace votes for a president, but doesn't really vote for a president? Al Gore was the choice of the American people, but George W. Bush was supposedly the choice of the Electoral College. I use the word "supposedly" because the election was eventually decided by the Supreme Court.

I took a course during my senior year of high school called "American Government and Political Science." We learned all about the process of electing a president, and spent some time on the reasons for the existence of the Electoral College. I have since forgotten these reasons, but now is as good of a time as any to refresh my memory.

Once I do that, I'll let you know what it's all about.

In the meantime, now that we have an Obama/Biden ticket (that sounds kinda snappy, don't ya think?), let's look forward to the DNC in Denver.

And let's see how long it takes for McCain to announce his running mate.

No comments: