Friday, August 1, 2008

Whose Recipe Is It, Anyway?

Tonight, for dinner, I did something I've never done, but I'm very proud of doing: I put a recipe together all by myself, without the aid of a cookbook. This comes as somewhat of a surprise to me, given the fact that I've been cooking all my life, and hell, I've even got a cooking blog. I know this post really belongs over there, but I'm so proud of myself I need to share it with the masses.

So here's what I did:

1. I had leftover red and green bell peppers in the fridge, and if I didn't use them immediatement, they'd go bad. So I cut them up into chunks and set 'em aside.

2. I then took two medium onions, peeled them, and quartered them.

3. I took a skillet, poured a tablespoon of EVOO in it, turned the burner to medium, and sauteed five cloves of garlic till they were light golden brown. I'm Italian, and I likes my garlic!

4. I added the onions and peppers to the skillet and sauteed them for about 10 minutes. After about 7 minutes I noticed some brown bits sticking to the bottom of the pan, and I immediately thought, "Deglaze!" I poured about half a cup of white wine into the skillet to deglaze the pan and add some more flavor.

5. While the veggies were cooking, I put on a pot of water to boil, and added a pound of Barilla Omega 3 Pasta.

6. When the pasta and veggies were done, I dumped the pasta in the bowl after drainage, added the veggies, and tossed 'em together. I immediately realized I should have cooked less pasta; there was more pasta than veggies in the mix.

7. I poured some leftover peanut sauce on top of the whole dish and tossed to coat. I put some pasta into a bowl, added a little more peanut sauce, and a little grated parm on top.

Oh yeah, and after I poured the wine into the skillet, I pulled a Graham Kerr and poured myself a glass. Delish.

It was good overall, but again, next time I make this, more veggies, less pasta! (Not that there was anything wrong with all that pasta...)

No comments: