Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Eighty Years Ago Today...

...on the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, the Armistice Treaty was signed in France. It was the treaty to end "the war to end all wars."

Eighty years later, the United States is involved in two overseas wars.

And let's not forget World War II, Vietnam, Korea, and the Gulf War.

Most of my colleagues, and I include myself in this, were grumbling that we had to have Tuesday off, as opposed to Monday. Come back one day, only to have the next one off?

And then it hit me.

Why am I grumbling? Most Americans look at this day as just another day off. They've forgotten why we have this holiday in the first place.

I knew a lot of older men, my parents' age or my grandparents' age (if my grandparents were still alive), who had fought in foreign wars. But this past Sunday, that all changed. My minister honored the veterans during this week's service. One of the veterans was a woman--a woman my age, perhaps younger, who had served in the Gulf War.

That's when it really hit me.

It's not just a day off for me anymore.

Remember our veterans today, whether you buy a poppy from someone at the VFW or go to the cemetary, or even have your own moment of silence, please, don't forget them.

Don't forget. Never forget.

No comments: