Sunday, September 14, 2008

I'm Baking My First Pie Today

A good friend of mine at work celebrated her 25th birthday over the weekend. As a present, I'm baking her a pumpkin pie--her favorite food. She has it for breakfast quite a bit; her grandmother told her that pumpkin is a vegetable, "and if it's a vegetable, it's healthy, so I can have pumpkin pie for breakfast."

Well, I can't argue with that one. I've occasionally had apple pie for breakfast myself; I don't have it every day, though, or else I'd weigh 300 pounds.

Anyhoo, I'm a little nervous because I've never made a pie before, and pumpkin is one of those fillings that can crack when you bake it (kinda like a cheesecake). I'm following the pumpkin pie recipe from The Moosewood Cookbook, so I should be okay.

To be honest, I'm more nervous about the crust than anything else. I've never made anything that requires you to roll out dough, and pie crust is easy to mess up. Too much flour, and you've got a tough crust. Too little flour, it doesn't hold up well.

So keep your fingers crossed, say a prayer to Betty Crocker, and wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

P.S. If all turns out well, I'll post the recipe later tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sending you good pastry vibes! Thanks for putting me on your blogroll. :)