Tuesday, September 16, 2008

School Picture Day Is Coming

Remember when you were a kid, and you had to get your school pictures taken? You showed up to school with a brand new haircut, brand new outfit--only to have your picture come out looking nothing like either you or your parents wanted to.

Then you went for retakes, along with the 50 or so other kids who also hated their pictures. Your retakes didn't turn out much better, either.

Well, Thursday is school picture day, and not only do the kids have to have their pictures taken, the staff does too.

It gets a lot worse when you get older.

I fuss more over picture day now than I did when I was a kid. How should I wear my hair? What sweater should I put on? How should I accessorize?

I got really nervous about picture day yesterday, when I went to the ladies' room and saw my reflection in the mirror.

I looked like crap.

I couldn't figure out what exactly it was at first. Was it my hair? Well, partly; it was humid and gross, and my curly, thick hair frizzed up, even in the air-conditioned comfort of my classroom. Was it the cut of my shirt? No, because I have a light blue shirt in the same style that looks good on me. Was it the horrid lighting in the ladies' room? Partly; there was awful florescent lighting in there, versus the nice, clean light in my condo that is much more flattering.

Was it my body? I am overweight, I'll be the first to admit, but I don't think of myself as a fat person. I don't let my weight define me, and I've never been mistreated (thankfully) for being overweight. But it wasn't my figure.

Finally, I got back to my desk and looked at my shirt sleeve. I realized what it was that made me look so horrible.

I was wearing a light mauve shirt that, in florescent light, looked Pepto Bismal pink.

It was not a flattering color on me.

Needless to say, I'm not wearing the shirt again.

Now it's back to the closet to see what other possibilities I have for Thursday. Wish me luck.

No comments: