Sunday, September 21, 2008

Clip of the Week

I've dropped the word "variety" from my clips of the week, even though I'm still going to post variety clips quite often. However, I am interested in non-variety show clips, too, and this is one of them.

Anyone remember Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom? If you don't remember the show, you MUST remember their jingle:

Mutuaaaaaaaaaaaalllll of Ooooooooomahaaaaaaaa, good peeeeeeeeeeeople you can count on when the going's touuuuuuuuuugh.

I loved this show, and watched it every Sunday afternoon when I was a kid. I remember Marlin Perkins as the guy who was in the library at the beginning of the show, decked out in a suit and tie, pointing to a globe and telling us where the week's episode was filmed. I quite honestly don't remember ever seeing him outside of the library, or in any other segment of the show, for that matter.

We who grew up on this show remember that Jim Fowler did most of the dirty work--wrestling alligators, chasing lions, manhandling snakes--and Marlin Perkins would just sit back and watch.

However, I recently found a YouTube clip where Mr. Perkins was wrestling an anaconda. If I can find it again, I'll post it.

This clip features two of the openings to this classic show, which had the most relaxing, peaceful, soothing theme song in television history. Enjoy.

No comments: