Wednesday, January 21, 2009

An afternoon rendez-vous a la bibliotheque

Yesterday I ventured to our public library, the Russell Library. The M-Town has one kick-ass, amazing library, and I figured, since I had just signed up for J. Kaye's library challenge, I'd better start taking advantage of it.

I had never really taken full advantage of the library before; in the five and a half years I've lived here in The M-Town, I've only borrowed a handful of books. Prior to yesterday's sojourn, it had been nearly three or four years since I borrowed a book.

Reason?

Easy.

Overdue fines.

Now, I didn't owe hundreds of dollars of fines, thank God, but it was an inconvenience that I really didn't feel like dealing with, and I kept putting it off and putting it off. That is, till yesterday.
Fortunately for me I only had to pay $27.90 in overdue/lost book fees. I was feeling tres giddy.

My first stop was the "Friends of the Library Sale" to check out whatever goodies they had on sale. I purchased these two books:

I had just finished reading American Wife, and thought I'd read another book by Curtis Sittenfeld. This will be the second book that I've read that is written by her, and will count as one of my books on my 2nds challenge.

Here's another book inspired by my reading of American Wife. Curtis Sittenfeld thanks the author of this book at the end of American Wife; she used it for researching the life of Laura Bush. I'd love to have the books open side-by-side, reading simultaneously, to distinguish truth from fiction.
And now, for what I've borrowed:

I've heard so much about this novel, all of it wonderful. I knew it was lengthy before I borrowed it, but it's 900 pages. In small print! I did the same thing Papa Cat used to whenever he picked up a book--any book. Even the little ones that he used to read to me and Sister Kitten when we were children.
I was lazily browsing through the shelves and came across this book. I was intrigued by the title, so I took it out. I forget what the plot synopsis is, and I'm too lazy to go to the other room to get it. Still, I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for its title, so I shouldn't dismiss this one too quickly.

So that's my library loot for now! I wonder if the books I purchased from the library will count towards my library challenge...

No comments: