Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday 9: The First Apartment

I don't usually partake in the Saturday 9 meme, but the questions were so good for this one that I had to do it!

I'm cheating a little bit on this one...I'm writing it on Sunday, after getting back from my scrapbooking jaunt, and dating it for yesterday. Sorry, but I feel funny posting it today!

So here, Kittens, are memories of my first apartment.


1. Where had you moved from?
My parents' house.

2. Describe your first apartment.
It was a one-bedroom end unit on the second floor of an L-shaped building. You entered, and you had a huge kitchen to your right, which extended all the way to the left wall. The extension served as a dining area. That's where I had my dining room table. The linoleum ended abruptly, and then I had a small living room with a set of patio doors on the end. The doors led to a balcony so tiny I could barely fit one chair on it. There was a little breakfast nook that separated the kitchen from the dining area.

The bathroom led off of the living room, about five feet from it. The bedroom was immediately to the left of the bathroom. It was a very spacious bedroom with mirrored closets. I didn't mirror them, someone else did.

The apartment was about a mile from the beach, which was one of the main selling points about it. Not to mention, the closets were very roomy and the kitchen was HUGE. It was much bigger than the kitchen I currently have. On sunny afternoons, I used to get home from work, get out of my car, and walk immediately to the beach. It was great to go there to wind down after a long day. I did the same thing during the winter, but I drove instead of walked. Sorry, it was too cold for me!

3. How old were you when you had your apartment?
I was 25.

4. Did you have roommates? If yes, tell us more.
Human roommates, no. A year after I moved in, Maggie came into my life. As a kitten she used to have bad separation anxiety whenever I left for work. She'd block herself in front of the door, and I tried to move her and then leave as fast as I could. It never worked, though; most mornings I'd have to chase her down the hall to get her back in the apartment. And when I finally got her back in and locked the door, she would howl. I mean, it was loud. And then she'd trot over to the bedroom, jump in the window, and watch me as I got into the car and drove away.

5. What was your place of employment then?
The same place where I work now.

6. How were you finances at the time?
They weren't bad, but they weren't great. I never had to live on solely Ramen noodles while I lived there, fortunately. It helped that heat and hot water were included in the rent.

7. Tell us about a lover who spent a night there.
I take the 5th.

8. Tell us about a band you listen to then. (You can cheat. Look it up.)
The same bands I listen to now: Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, Springsteen, etc.

9. How long did you live there and why did you move from there?
I lived there for two years. I moved from there for two reasons: One, the rent was going up almost $200 a month, and two, I bought a condo much closer to work and to my family. I still miss it, but not enough to go back.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Awwww about Maggie! She loves you!

My Harley always makes me feel guilty when I leave in the morning. He stares at me with this little sad face. I wish I could scoop him up and take him with me.

Love your answer to #8