Saturday, January 24, 2009

Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer

I wanted to hate this book.

In fact, I expected to hate this book.

However, after finishing it only half an hour ago, and only two hours after I had last been on my computer blogging away, I had to come back and write my review...

I friggin' LOVE this book!

I won't say that I'm a Twihard just yet, but about halfway through this book I can understand why millions of girls, and even women, are enraptured by Edward Cullen. Stephenie Meyer makes him so...seductive. So...so...well, I can't find the words to describe what I feel for Edward right now, but I truly get it now. I now understand what all the fuss is about.

I originally bought the book from BOMC2.com, eager to find out why this book has such a cult following. The teenage girls at church raved about this, and any time you get an adolescent girl to read a book that's almost 500+ pages, you know something's up.

It started off very slowly. Bella Swan had just moved to Forks, Washington, to be with her dad, Charlie, who was the chief of police. Bella moved away from Phoenix, away from her mom and her new husband, an aspiring baseball player. Meyer doesn't really fully explain the reasons behind Bella's move to Forks, after living most of her life in Phoenix. In fact, Charlie's position as police chief doesn't figure in pertinently to this novel (though I have a suspicion that it might in the sequels). Bella starts off her life at Forks High School in a state of misery, not wanting to make new friends, trying to fly as far under the radar as possible.

On her first day, she meets Edward Cullen, first in the cafeteria, then as her seatmate in biology class.

She is puzzled by Edward's behavior, not knowing why he shuns her, then is friendly to her, then shuns her again. She starts to become obsessed with Edward's behavior.

Finally, the novel starts to pick up after Bella makes a trip to Port Angeles with two of her girlfriends to buy dresses for the girls' choice dance. I started to read further, out of curiosity, now that Bella and Edward have started to fall for each other.

And then, once Bella met the rest of the Cullen family, I couldn't put it down.

I really wish I could go into more plot twists than that, but if I did, I would be afraid that I would be revealing too much. All I can say is, get a copy of the book. Read it. Drink it in. Stephenie Meyer is a wonderful author; her descriptions are incredibly vivid, her plot twists are masterful, her character development is amazing.

And now, for a trip to Borders, to secure my copy of New Moon.

***This is another post in my 100+ Reading Challenge, as well as the first post for my 1st in a Series challenge. Click on the buttons in the side bar for the latest updates!***

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, yup, I totally thought I was gonna hate it too but I had to read it to see what all the hoop-lah was about! So glad I read it!

drollgirl said...

oh, the entire twilight book series is out-of-control good! SO GOOD. you will pretty much die by the time you get to the last book. and i loved the movie, too. glad you enjoyed it. YAY!

Tiffany said...

I still haven't read this book. I need to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

thaats exactly what happened with me. then i ended up getting all the books and reading 'em super fast.

Now I'm like a twilight freak, lol, i got this shirt last week:
http://twilightshirts.com/shirt/mrscullen

and my room is all decked out in twilight stuff ;)

love