Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Kitten's 2009 Chunkster Challenge

Just when I thought I couldn't sign up for any more reading challenges...

Here are the rules for this one (copied word for word from Think Pink Dana):

*A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction) Don't complain folks, I read all thousands of pages of the Twilight series and they were good, but not a challenge. A chunkster should be a challenge.
*If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more I asked around and the average LT book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.
*No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn't seem right. Words on paper for this one folks.
* You may start any time after signing up. You must complete your reads before or on Nov 15th. *Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
*Books may crossover with other challenges (see option 4 for a collaborative effort with TBR challenge)
*Only option 4 requires that you make a set list of books to complete the challenge
Here are the options. I've bold-faced and italicized mine:

*The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who has a large tome or two to read, but really doesn't want to commit to more than that. 2 books is all you need to finish this challenge.
*Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to 3-5 Chunksters over the next ten months.
*Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 6 or more chunksters OR three tomes of 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.

And now...here's what I've got on my list so far:


Wish me luck with this one! This will be the most difficult of my reading challenges, I think!

7 comments:

Vickie said...

"Pilars of the Earth" is waiting on the shelf for me to read.

I like reading, but I don't know how you book gals do it. I am lucky if I get 5 books in a year:)

Good luck!

Jen - Queen of Poo said...

Oh, I love chunksters! It takes me forever to read them these days, especially when I only get a chance to read on the pot and right before bed.

Jenners said...

This challenge just cracks me up -- and the button is pretty hilarious! I have Pillars of the Earth sitting on my bookshelf too -- I just don't like reading really big heavy books because they are so awkward. And I don't remember "The Poisonwood Bible" being so big but I read it a long time ago!

Good luck with this one!

Kitten said...

Vickie--I recently got back into the habit of reading before bedtime. I just joined two book clubs in the past six months and it helped me rediscover my love of reading. Not to mention, make new friends. :)

Jen--I read on the pot, too! I decided to do the chunkster challenge because--well, it's the biggest challenge for me, and I figured I already had Pillars of the Earth out of the library, so why not?

Jenners--I love the button, too. I was looking through my bookshelf tonight for chunksters, and was surprised at the number of books that just fell short of the 450 page mark. I did manage to find a couple, though, and am updating the list shortly--this time with a link back to Dana's.

Tiffany said...

Poisonwood Bible is one of my favs.

Laura Essendine said...

I save my chunksters up for holidays so I can read them all in one go. otherwise I lose track.

If you want some fantastic chunksters try Penny Vincenzi, the British chunkster queen. The Lytton trilogy has each book at around 1000 pages.

Is that too chunky?

Laura Essendine
Author – The Accidental Guru
The Accidental Guru Blog
The Books Limited Blog

Kitten said...

Tiffany--Poisonwood Bible has been on my shelf for a couple of years now, and I've been eager to read it since I purchased it. Now I've got motivation!

Laura--I, too, save my chunksters for vacations and holidays. I've got February vacation coming up, and that's when I am reading Pillars of the Earth. The others are for my April and summer vacations.