Monday, January 19, 2009

The Post-Dubya World

I have no idea what it's gonna look like.

As of this writing, there are less than 24 hours left of the George W. Bush administration. I am thrilled, but I am also walking around in a cloud of disbelief.

I thought it was never going to end.

The last eight years went by verrrrry slowly. It seemed at times as if there had been no other president of the United States, ever, even though I was alive for Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, and now, Dubya.

I had never seen a president mocked so much. Dubya's lame-duckitude inspired a cottage industry of calendars, clocks, timers, bumper stickers, clothing, and other such tchochkes that counted down the days remaining in his presidency. A good friend of mine has a "Countdown to 1.20.09" magnet on her refrigerator. It also serves as a timer, counting down the days till Bush leaves office.

I wonder what sound the timer will make when it goes off.

Sadly, I will be missing the Inauguration. I will be at work; I'll watch what I can of Barack Obama's speech following his swearing-in, since it'll occur during my lunch hour. I can watch it over the Internet. I figure it'll probably be on C-SPAN over the weekend...over and over and over, so I won't miss it.

I can't wait for Obama to take office. Just think, the United States is going to have a competent, articulate, motivated president for the first time in eight years!

I just hope that all goes well tomorrow!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I hope all goes well tomorrow too! We are going to put it on at work and hope no one calls. LOL!

I really do see hope for us.